Easy to make and perfectly spiced, this applesauce cake boasts browned butter frosting. It’s rich, moist, and fragrant with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. Applesauce cake can be served straight from the pan, or lift it using the parchment paper to serve on a tray. Serve applesauce cake as an afternoon snack or evening dessert. Either way, a cup of coffee or tea alongside makes a cozy treat for family and friends!
FOR THE APPLESAUCE SPICE CAKE:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups of sugar
1½ cups applesauce
½ cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
¾ cup golden raisins or raisins
½ cup chopped pecans
FOR THE BROWNED BUTTER FROSTING:
1/3 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup chopped pecans, to decorate
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
1. Heat oven to 350°F(180°C).
2. Grease and flour 13×9-inch baking pan; set aside.
3. Combine all cake ingredients except raisins and pecans in a bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until ingredients are moistened. Beat at high speed, scraping bowl often, until smooth.
4. Stir in raisins and ½ cup pecans.
5. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until center is firm to the touch and edges begin to pull away from sides of the pan.
6. Cool completely before frosting
TO MAKE THE FROSTING:
1. Melt 1/3 cup butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking, stirring constantly and watching closely, 4-6 minutes or until butter just starts to turn golden. (Butter will get foamy and bubble.) Remove from heat. Cool completely.
2. Combine browned butter, powdered sugar and 1½ teaspoons vanilla in a bowl. Beat at medium speed, gradually adding milk and scraping bowl often, until frosting is smooth and spreadable.
3. Frost cooled cake. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup pecans.
1. Frosted or unfrosted applesauce cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 5 days. (However, if your kitchen is warmer than 70°F, store frosted cakes in the fridge.)
2. To freeze: Do not frost the cake. Let it cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months; thaw overnight on the counter before serving or frosting
Yield: 8-10 SERVINGS
Prep time: 45 MIN
Cook time: 40 MIN
Total time: 2H 15MIN