This best-ever strawberry rhubarb pie is filled to brimming with juicy, sweet strawberries, tart rhubarb, and the most delectable, buttery streusel topping. It’s my favorite summer pie!
I wait for rhubarb season all year long just to make this pie. There is no question about it being my most favorite summer pie by a landslide. No competition. Filled to brimming with juicy, sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb, it is uncomplicated and perfect. And that buttery streusel topping is the perfect compliment to the sweet/tart filling. Plus, it means you don’t have to bother with rolling out a pie crust for the top. This strawberry rhubarb pie is a classic, and it has been one of our favorite pies for more than ten years. Tried-and-true, it’s a recipe that will be passed down from generation to generation!
And it’s one of the main reasons I battle a behemoth rhubarb plant year after year. Best pie ever!
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heavy cream
- 3-1/2 cups (1/2 inch) diced rhubarb
- 1/4 cup quick cooking tapioca
- 2 pie dough rounds, store bought or homemade (you want enough for the bottom and top)
- 3-1/2 cups quartered strawberries, tops removed
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
MAKING THE CRUST
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add 1 of your rolled out pie dough rounds to the pan.
- Letting a bit of the crust overhang.
MAKING THE FILLING
- In a large bowl add strawberries, rhubarb, dark brown sugar, tapioca, lemon juice and salt.
- Stir until the mixture is evenly coated.
- Add filling to the prepared pie crust.
BAKING THE PIE
- Cover the pie with the remaining rolled pie crust, cut all but 1/2 inch of the overhanging crust.
- Crimp the dough together to create a crust around the edges.
- Cut 4 slits into the top of the pie.
- Transfer pie to a baking sheet and brush the top of the pie with a little heavy cream.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes.
- The pie is ready when the top is golden brown and some of the juices bubble out.
- Remove pie from the oven and let cool completely before slice.