So here’s something you might not know about me, I love a good boxed cake mix. Yes, of course I bake cakes from scratch but there are just times when you need the ease and efficiency of a good cake mix. Not to mention that they are fool-proof and can make anyone feel like a master baker.
Most of the time I jazz up boxed/pre-pack cake mixes with fresh fruit and my own buttercream but today is not that day. Today we are not even baking a cake with our cake mix. Today we are making waffles that are so good, I dare you to stop at only one.
When the team from Golden Cloud asked me to come up with a spectacular recipe using their cake or muffin mix range I accepted without hesitation. Because I knew exactly what I was going to make. I’ve been wanting to make cake mix waffles for the longest time and guys, it was worth the wait.
Vanilla Cake Batter
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1-15.25 oz vanilla cake mix
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Fresh Berries for Garnish & Serving
FOR THE WAFFLES
- Turn you waffle iron onto a medium high setting.
- In a medium bowl combine vanilla cake mix, milk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Combine with a handheld mixer (or by hand) for 1-2 minutes or until you have a smooth batter.
- When your waffle iron is to temperature, spray both the top and bottom liberally with nonstick cooking spray.
- Measure out 1/2 cup (or however much your waffle iron will hold) of cake batter.
- Pour it into the middle of the prepared waffle iron and spread out using a heat proof spatula.
- Put top of waffle iron down and cook for 2 minutes or until the middle of the waffles are golden brown and the edges are light brown.
- To remove the waffles use forks to loosen the edges and then slip a spatula under the waffle.
- Move the cooked cake waffle to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Continue to cook until you have used all of your batter, making sure to spray nonstick spray between each waffle.
FOR THE CREAM AND DECORATIONS
- While the waffles are cooling, combine the whipped cream ingredients in a large mixing bowl of a mixer that is fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Begin whisking the ingredients together, making sure that the powdered sugar gets incorporated well.
- Then turn the mixer onto a high speed and mix until you have stiff peaks (the whipped cream should stay on the whisk attachment when you pull it from the mixture).
- To assemble your vanilla waffle cake, place one of the cooled cake waffles onto your serving plate and top with 1/6 of the whipped cream.
- Spread whipped cream out over the top of the waffle. If a little bit goes over the edge of the waffle then that is fine.
- Top with another waffle and repeat the process until you have stacked 5 waffles.
- Take the remaining whipped cream and make a large mound of whipped cream in the middle of the top waffle.
- Garnish your vanilla waffle cake with fresh berries and either refrigerate or serve with additional fresh berries.