Yield: 8 SERVINGS
Prep time: 45 MIN
Cook time: 30 MIN
Total time: 1HR 15 MIN
Hands up who loves Oreos! Mint Oreo Cake recipe makes for one fabulous birthday cake for mint chocolate fans. This is a dark and decadent chocolate cake with layers of mint and Oreo buttercreams which FULL of crushed Oreos, then garnished with chocolate ganache and even more cookies.
FOR THE CAKE CHOCOLATE CAKE:
1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cocoa powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1¼ cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup buttermilk
½ cup hot coffee or water
FOR THE MINT OREO BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 package mint Oreos divided
2½-3 cups powdered sugar
A pinch of kosher salt
3 tablespoon heavy cream
1½-2 teaspoons mint extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Green food coloring
Chocolate ganache for decorating
TO MAKE THE CHOCOLATE CAKE:
1.Preheat oven to 350°F(177°C). Grease and flour three 6-inch round cake pans and set aside.
2. In a bowl, whisk together dry ingredients and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar with a mixer for 2-3 minutes until combined. Add eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk and mix until well combined. Sift dry ingredients into wet and beat until just combined. Mix in the hot coffee in and beat on low speed until corporate.
4. Divide the batter evenly in three pans, then bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Turn out onto cooling racks. Let cool completely.
TO MAKE THE MINT OREO BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
1. Separate 12 of the Oreo cookie from the cream; place the cream in a bowl. Place the cookies in a zipper bag or food processor and crush them coarsely. Set aside.
2. In a mixer, beat butter on medium-high speed 4-5 minutes until fluffy. Add the reserved Oreo cream, about two cups of powdered sugar, and a pinch of salt. Mix on low until incorporated, then increase speed to medium. Taste and add additional powdered sugar if needed.
3. Add cream, mint and vanilla extracts, and food coloring then mix on low speed until incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and whip 5-6 minutes until fluffy. Fold ¾ of the crushed Oreo cookies into the icing.
1. Level the cakes using a large serrated knife or cake leveling tool.
2. Place one layer of cake on a cake board or serving plate. Spread a thin layer of buttercream on top, place 7 Oreos on top, then spread another thin layer of buttercream on those. Repeat with the following layer of cake. Put the third cake layer on top, then cover the entire cake in the remaining buttercream.
3. Cover the top of the cake in warm chocolate ganache, then allow it to drip down the sides, helping it along with a spoon or offset spatula.
4. Pipe stiff ganache rosettes all around the outer edge of the top of the cake, with one in the middle. Arrange the remaining 6 Oreos on top of the cake. Use remaining Oreo crumbs to garnish the base of the cake.