Thick and soft cream cheese and sugar cookies topped with a deliciously light buttercream frosting and rainbow sprinkles. These cookies are easy to make, super fun and delicious! The perfect kids (or adults) weekend baking project!
These cookies are so delicious. I love the pink frosting on top, it’s so cute paired with the sprinkles, but above all what I adore about these cookies is how soft and light they are. They’re not crumbly, not cakey but just light and delicious.
The cookies have cream cheese in them, but surprisingly you can’t really taste it. I think it’s in there because it helps make the cookies rich and light. I love the addition of almond extract. A great alternative is rose water which can be added to the frosting too if you wish. The pink frosting on top is light and sweet. The cookies are not too sweet, so the frosting on top doesn’t make these overly sweet. The sprinkles add a fun little bit of flair that make these a favorite amongst kids and adults alike!
FOR THE COOKIES
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200g)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (270g)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp almond extract optional
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (7.5ml)
- 1/4 cup sour cream room temperature (60g)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature (113g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
FOR THE BUTTER CREAM
- 2 cups powdered sugar (240g)
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature (113g)
- Sprinkles optional
- 2 tbsp Milk (30ml)
- Food coloring optional
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (5ml)
BAKING THE COOKIES
- Combine the salt, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cornstarch in a bowl then whisk together and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy then beat in the egg, vanilla, and almond extract if using.
- Add the sour cream and mix until combined, scraping the bowl down as needed.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet and mix on low until just combined.
- Use your spatula to scrape down the bowl and combine any errant flour.
- Shape dough into a disk then cover in plastic and chill for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Roll the dough out to 1/4 inch then use a 2 1/2-3 inch circular cookie cutter to cut the cookies.
- Reroll the scraps and cut the remaining cookies.
- Transfer cookies to parchment-lined baking sheets and bake at 375F for 8-9 minutes or until the cookies are just turning color on the bottom edge.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- While the Cookies bake, cream the butter then mix in the powdered sugar, and vanilla.
- Drizzle in the milk while mixing on low then increase speed to high and beat until smooth.
- If using food dye, mix in a drop at a time until desired color is reached.
- Top the cookies with a thin layer of buttercream and a smattering of sprinkles.