The most delicious, from scratch, white cake recipe is used to create this perfect Coconut Cake! It’s light and fluffy combine with sweet coconut flavor and it’s finished with a rich and creamy coconut cream cheese frosting.
Yield: 16 SERVINGS
Prep Time: 20 MIN
Cook Time: 26 MIN
Additional: 30 MIN
Total Time: 1 HR 16 MIN
FOR THE COCONUT CAKE:
5 egg whites, room temperature
¾ cup milk
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
2 ½ cup cake flour
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
FOR THE COCONUT FROSTING:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
6 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups shredded, sweetened coconut
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
1. Whisk together the egg whites and 1/4 cup of the milk in a small bowl until slightly combined. Set aside.
2.In a mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts for 2 minutes on medium speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
3.Add in dry ingredients and mix until combined.
4.Beat in egg white mixture until fully blended.
5.Add in remaining milk and beat for 3-4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Fold in coconut.
6.Spray two 9-inch cake pans with baking spray. Pour batter into pans and bake in a 180°C (350°F) oven for 26-28 minutes. Remove and cool completely on wire rack.
TO MAKE THE FROSTING:
1. Beat butter and cream cheese for 3 minutes using a whisk attachment on an electric mixer.
2. Add in powdered sugar and heavy cream. Beat an additional 4-5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
3. To frost the cake, place one layer of cake on a cake stand. Add a large amount of frosting to the top and smooth with an offset spatula. Top with the second layer of cake. Apply frosting to the entire cake.
4. To add the shredded coconut to the top and sides of the cake, place the cake stand on a baking sheet (to catch the excess coconut). Fill hand with coconut and press gently into the sides of the cake. Repeat until the desired amount of coconut is applied.