Sans Rival is a popular Filipino layer cake consisting of cashew meringue and French buttercream. Layered with buttercream, this meringue-based Cake Sans Rival finished off with roasted chopped cashews is pure dessert decadence. Follow the ultimate indulgent recipe to make this Filipino cake. It is a very rich dessert best serving on special occasions!
Yield: 12 SERVINGS
Prep Time: 15 MIN
Cook Time: 50 MIN
Total Time: 3 HRS
FOR THE MERINGUE
3/4 cup (96g) ground cashews
1/2 cup (64g) chopped cashews
1/4 cup (32g) all-purpose flour
6 egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup (200g) sugar
FOR THE SANS RIVAL ICING
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
1/4 cup (60ml) water
6 egg yolks
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup (340g) unsalted butter
FOR THE DECORATION
1 1/2 cup (135g) roasted chopped cashews
TO MAKE THE CAKE
1. Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Butter and flour four 8-inch/20 cm cake ring. Place prepared rings on a lined baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
2. To make the meringue, mix ground and chopped cashews and all-purpose flour in a bowl, set aside.
3. Beat the room temperature egg whites with cream of tartar at medium speed for 1 minute using an electric mixer, gradually adding the sugar. Then switch the mixer to the high speed and beat egg whites for about 4 to 5 minutes until medium peaks form. Add flour/nuts mixture to the beaten egg whites and fold with a rubber spatula until well combined.(Do not overmix. Overmixing will cause the egg white mixture to separate)
4. Use a small spatula to distribute the mixture into the prepared cake rings and spread evenly.
5. Bake the meringue for 50 to 55 minutes or until dry. Once the meringue disks are baked, immediately flip each of them onto another parchment paper sheet. Peel off parchment from the bottom and allow it to cool.
TO MAKE THE SANS RIVAL ICING
1. Beat egg yolks and vanilla extract for about 8 to 10 minutes at high speed, using an electric mixer. Bring water and sugar in a heavy bottom saucepan over low heat and cook sugar syrup up to 240 F/115 C.
2. Reset the mixer to low speed and gently pour sugar syrup over the beaten egg yolks and beat. Transfer the ready egg yolks/sugar mixture to another bowl, cover with plastic film and let it cool.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the softened butter at low speed until smooth. Switch the mixer to medium speed and continue to beat until volume increases.
Reset the mixer to low speed again and add the cooled egg yolks/sugar mixture. Whisk until the Sansrival icing is smooth
1. To assemble the cake, place the first meringue disk on a serving board. Spread the icing on top of the disk. Sprinkle with roasted chopped cashews.
2. Repeat this operation with the remaining three meringue disks and icing. Cover the top of the cake and the edges with icing. Sprinkle with roasted chopped cashews.