Chocolate toffee shortbread cookies are a simple and delicious way to say “I love you.” The dough, which is flavored with vanilla bean paste, comes together quickly and rolls out easily after a quick rest in the refrigerator.
Yield: 22 COOKIES
Prep time: 20 MIN
Chill time: 50 MIN
Cook time: 15 MIN
Total time: 1HR 10 MIN
FOR THE COOKIES:
¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
⅛ tsp salt
1¾ cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar (for sprinkling)
FOR THE TOPPING:
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
¼ cup toffee bits
TO MAKE THE COOKIES:
1. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until combined; add vanilla bean paste and salt and beat until incorporated. Scr̾a̾p̾e ̾ down bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour just until incorporated and dough begins to come together in large pieces. Scr̾a̾p̾e ̾ the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape it into a disk and wrap well. Chill dough in the refrigerator until firm, about 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
3. Roll out dough to slightly less than ¼-inch thick on a lightly floured board. Use a floured 3-inch heart cutter to cut out hearts. Gather scraps to re-roll, punching out more hearts. Place hearts on baking sheets, sprinkle with sugar and chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
4. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 14 to 15 minutes, until lightly golden and edges are set. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfers to a wire rack to cool completely.
TO MAKE THE TOPPING:
1. Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat chocolate in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth (about 1½ minutes).
2. Transfer melted chocolate to a small piping bag and drizzle over cookies. Sprinkle cookies with toffee bits and let the chocolate set before serving.
For more delicious dessert: Tastycious